Homestyle Stuffed Peppers! Multi-colour, nutritious bell peppers are loaded with seasoned ground beef, hearty rice and mildly sweet tomatoes, then they’re and finished with mozzarella cheese and baked until flawlessly tender. It’s a tasty dinner in a single that you’ll want to on standard rotation!
Stuffed Peppers Recipe
I’ve always loved stuffed peppers but I’ve hated the extra step of boiling water and parboiling peppers ahead of baking. So instead, right here we pre-bake the peppers (in the exact same baking dish you’ll presently be using to bake the stuffed peppers) even though the filling cooks, it’s a no brainer.
Stuffed Peppers V >
Then to make prep more rapidly use leftover rice from a dinner you created the day just before if you’ve got some.
These are less difficult to make than you’d think and they make delicious left overs the up coming day for lunch. Plus how else could we eat a entire pepper in one sitting? A excellent way to get the the entire family to consume more veggies!
Nothing fancy or complicated here, just fresh, flavorful, comfort meals tossed and layered together and baked until finally properly tender and tasty.
Ingredients for Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Long grain white rice – leftover rice performs wonderful if you have some.
- Bell peppers – if you’d prefer you can make use all green if they’re what’s cheaper.
- Olive oil – only a small is required for sauteing. An additional neutral oil will operate this kind of as vegetable oil.
- Ground beef – use a single that’s 80%+ lean.
- Yellow onion and fresh garlic – these produce a delightful base of flavor, only use fresh.
- Canned petite diced tomatoes – I like these smaller sized chunks but normal cut canned tomatoes will operate fine.
- Tomato sauce – if you are hunting to decrease sodium in the recipe use no-salt tomato sauce and canned tomatoes. And of program season with less salt.
- Italian seasoning – I really like to use this mix right here rather than adding five varieties of dried herbs individually.
- Fresh parsley – this adds lots of fresh flavor. It’s one particular of my go-to components I usually preserve stocked.
- Mozzarella cheese – if you want even more flavor substitute 1/4 cup of the mozzarella for parmesan.
How to Make the Greatest Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook rice according to package deal directions.
- Meanwhile, trim about 1/4-inch from tops of bell peppers and then take away stems, ribs and seeds. Fill a baking dish just huge ample to fit peppers with about 1/2-inch of water.
- Spot peppers upside down in water, cover tightly with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a big non-stick skillet in excess of-medium substantial heat.
- Include onion and saute 3 minutes. Move onions to a single far side of the skillet.
- Add beef in chunks, season with salt and pepper then allow sear till browned on bottom, about two – three minutes.
- Break up beef and toss with onions and continue to cook 2 minutes, include garlic and cook until beef is cooked by means of about one minute longer.
- Remove from heat, drain off extra unwanted fat (I like to tilt skillet to 1 side and dab up extra fat employing tongs and paper towels).
- Stir in tomatoes, half of the tomato sauce (about one/2 cup), cooked rice, parsley, Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper to taste.
How Lengthy to Cook Stuffed Peppers?
- Decrease oven temperature to 350. Turn par-baked peppers upright and fill with beef filling.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce above peppers. Cover with foil and carry on to bake twenty minutes.
- Get rid of from oven, sprinkle with cheese, return to oven and bake until finally peppers have reached wanted tenderness, about ten – twenty minutes (thinner peppers will be done near lesser time thicker close to better). Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
Can I Use Brown Rice?
Yes. Brown rice will work wonderful right here too, just use the same volume (two cups cooked).
Can I Use Ground Turkey rather of Ground Beef?
Yes. Ground turkey will work wonderful too (85 – 93% lean). Utilizing the brown rice and ground turkey substitutions are great healthier choices right here.
Can I Cook the Stuffed Peppers in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, these can also be cooked in a slow cooker. Skip the pre-baking for the peppers, just fill them with the ready cooked filling and cook in a slow cooker on reduced heat for about three 1/two – four hours or till tender, add cheese in the course of the last ten minutes.
How Can I Make them Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers?
- Swap the Italian seasoning with one – 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (omit salt and pepper).
- Trade the parsley for cilantro.
- Substitute mozzarella with monterey jack or cheddar cheese.
- Optional, add in some black beans for an additional filler.
Can I Put together Them Ahead of Time?
You can make prep them up to 1 day in advance, if going that route though I suggest boiling the topless peppers for five minutes very first. Then stuff them with ready filling and refrigerate. The following day allow rest at area temperature even though the oven preheats. Increase baking time by about ten minutes or so because they’ll be starting up out cool.